The new X-ray diffractometer Empyrean XRD
Imerys Graphite & Carbon – Bironico, Switzerland recently acquired an “intelligent diffractometer”. The new X-ray diffractometer, Empyrean (XRD) from Malvern Panalytical, was installed earlier this year, allowing scientists and technicians to measure all sample types, ranging from powders, thin films, nanomaterials and solid objects with a single instrument, which is known for its unparalleled precision.
This new user-friendly technology allows our R&D team to develop appropriate analytical methods for specific product developments, therefore delivering high-performance solutions of consistent quality to the customer.
Malvern Panalytical Empyrean – XRD system with MultiCore and PIXcel-3D
The XRD technology will enhance the analytical capacity for both new product development and to support standard analytical activities for our production plant in Bodio.
For example, with this XRD we are able to analyse the texture of electrodes in order to see the orientation and distribution of graphite crystallites. The new XRD will also improve efficiency, as many of its features allow previously laborious processes to be carried out with a single click.
- Cradle with rotation over 3 axes (Chi–Phi–Z) allows the user to analyse crystallinity-degree and texture with a single tool, eliminating previous manual requirements. This feature simplifies sample preparation, as it allows all shapes and sizes to be examined.
- Theta 2-Theta and Omega-Theta X ray diffractometry, enables the user to collect and analyze very complex data in a simplified way, reducing time and enhancing the quality.
- User friendly reflection and transmission XRD analysis with automatic adjustment, reducing damage-risks, increasing analytical power and improving data quality
- The automatic multi-core optics adjustment reduces risk of damage or error and improves analytical efficiency.
- Powder analysis: Phases analysis, Rietveld quantification, isotropy grade
- These capabilities allow our R&D team to analyze various powders and a very diverse range of minerals, for various specifications, for example isotropy vs. anisotropy.
- Thin film analysis: Phase recognition, analysis and isotropy grade
- The thin film analysis is a feature that allows our team to measure films by scanning the surface in order to recognise the mineral phases and understand the quality of the material, for example dispersions for electrodes.
- Pole figure analysis with 2.5, 3D representation thanks to Phi axis rotation, allowing specimens of various shapes and sizes to be measured on 3 axis, displaying the variation of specific feature in a defined space.
Investing in this state of the art technology is motivated by our drive to develop innovative solutions for our customers. It will ensure we are able to deliver products of the highest quality and consistency with excellent price to performance ratio.